In 1910 enrollment at Washington & Jefferson College was 423. Physical training constituted a distinct department of College education and, according to the College Catalogue of 1904-1905, "is not only fostered, but it is required of every student, as essential to that vigorous health of body so important for the student and the professional man. The course of training prescribed consists in general of two class exercises each week, from November to the middle of March. Before and after this period of the year two individual exercises are required. The individual exercises are prescribed after a thorough medical and physical examination, and are especially adapted to remedy defects which may be discovered, and to build up a symmetrical body. The class exercises, with the same general end in view, serve, in addition, to cultivate graceful movement and erect carriage. ... The system in use is not designed to develop athletes, nor to detract from the time and attention which should be given to study." 3 "Both the Gymnasium and the Athletic Field [were] under the charge of a director, who devote[d] his whole time in looking after the health and proper physical training of the students, the principal aim in all being not the production of athletes, but rather the development of such health and vigor as best fit for study and prepare for the strain of professional life." -College Catalogue, 1904-1905.
8 X 10 photograph
Old Gym viewed from Beau Street. To the right is Old Main and beyond Old Main is Thompson Memorial Library, built in 1905.