Hays Hall was erected to house out-of-town boys who came to the Washington & Jefferson Academy, a prep school. Washington College, and later Washington & Jefferson College, conducted a department preparatory to college classes. The preparatory department, under the name of Washington & Jefferson Academy, was under the general control of the Trustees and Faculty of the College and was conducted as a constituent part of the College. -Pandora 1903, p.76.
8 X 5 photograph
Campus viewed from Wheeling Street. College Street is on the left. Hays Hall is the center building with the Episcopal Church and North Hall visible behind trees to the right. The Old Gym and the corner of Old Main are on the far right.