The new building was named after Rev. George P. Hays, D.D. who served as President of Washington & Jefferson College from 1870 to 1881. The Academy dormitory was heated with steam and lighted throughout with electricity and was furnished with every comfort and convenience. It accommodated 60 students, six teachers and the principal's family.
34 1/2 X 7 photograph
Hays Hall located on the corner of Beau and College Streets. To the right can be seen portions of the Episcopal Church and North Hall. The ornamental work on the center of the roof of Hays Hall does not appear in later pictures.