McMillan Hall was the sole building of Washington College until the construction of Old Main in the 1830's and housed all of the College's classes and facilities. On June 24, 1816, the College's Committee of Buildings was directed to erect two wings to the college building. Also added was the two-story portico with four Tuscan columns. According to the Minutes of Washington College, the wings were completed in 1818 and 1819. In May of 1826 the interior of the original center portion of the building was altered. For a few years the right or south wing served the dual role of dormitory and dining room for faculty, their families and students. In March 1832 President McConaughy and his family were allowed to live in the south wing of the building rent free and the north wing was remodeled into a dormitory complete with dining room.