Completed in 1893, the large, well-constructed and well-equipped gymnasium is 110 by 65 feet, with two stories and a gallery, built of Cleveland sandstone. "The main room, lighted by 76 large windows, and numerous smaller ones, was pronounced by the Hon. William Blaikie, author of 'How to Get Strong,' to be one of the finest exercise rooms he had seen. After a tour of inspection he ranked it with the three or four leading gymnasia of the United States. It is so well lighted and so pleasant that exercise taken in it is as agreeable and beneficial as that taken out of doors. The basement contains bowling alleys, a sparring and wrestling room, clay floor for putting the shot, and for jumping and battery practice; also storage and coat rooms, lockers, baths, and heating apparatus." -Prospectus of the Department of Physical Training of Washington & Jefferson College, 1894-1895.
4 X 4 photograph
Old Gym viewed from the corner of Beau and College Streets. To the right is Old Main.